Saturday, June 9, 2007

Teen camp and an aching heart.

This past Monday through Friday, my teens and I attended our district's summer teen camp. Overall, we had a fantastic time. If you forget about the food, you would have a hard time finding anything negative about the way camp was run this year.

Attention, youth pastors and camp directors---One of our speakers' name was Scott Regester. This guy was absolutely phenomenal. If you have any need for a speaker, look him up. He lives in Oklahoma, so how hard could it be to find him?

I took a group of 17. On the last night, the speaker asked which teenagers felt that God may be leading them into the ministry some day. 6 of my teens went forward. It is always incredibly moving to see teens in your ministry willing to answer God's call on their lives.

Here's the main event that affected me this year: It seems that every year at camp, there is some sequence of events that absolutely humbles me. This year, it started before we could even load up the vans to leave for camp. I had a girl who was signed up for camp drop out at the last second because she was sick. Her payment was nonrefundable, so I scrambled to find someone to take her place. Eventually, the girlfriend of a guy in my group was able to take the last spot.

I should have known that there was a greater plan than mine, with the way that events unfolded to get this girl to camp. Little did I know how much this girl needed to feel loved.

One night this girl and I were talking, and I asked her what her home life was like. She immediately started crying and told me that the last 12 months have been the worst in her life. What she then told me absolutely broke my heart.

About a year ago, this girl was raped by a complete stranger and got pregnant. The person who did this was never caught. Her pregnancy ultimately ended in a miscarriage. Her mother, who is an alcoholic, hasn't been around for much. Most every day, this girl comes home to an empty house, where she has to also play the role of mom for her 10 year old brother. She cooks all the meals. She helps him with his homework. She puts him to bed. She can't remember the last time she went out with friends, because she always chooses to stay home so her brother doesn't have to be lonely. When her mom is home, she tells her daughter that she's worthless, ugly, fat, and stupid. In my opinion she is none of these things.

Here is a 15 year old girl who has been forced to deal with more tragedy in a year, than I have known my entire life. Not only that, but she is having to force herself to be strong for the sake of her brother.

The theme of our camp was simple- "Used." How are you going to let God use you? The girl made some huge decisions this week, and is convinced that God is going to use her to tough her family. She knows it will not be easy, but she seems to be very determined.

Please join me in prayer for her.

1 comment:

lilkup said...

That is awesome to hear how God worked. I will be praying for the girl as she tries to continue with the decisions while being in that situation at home.