Thursday, April 19, 2007

So far, so good

Sorry for the delay, blogland. I know that during my hiatus, you all were frantically checking the net every day to see if I bestowed you with any more pearls of wisdom...well your wait is over, my friends!

Of course, I kid.

In news that isn't fake, I implemented a competitive small groups model for my Wednesday night services. At some point during my lessons, we split into small groups- each having a teen captain and an adult- to go deeper with the topic. The groups are "competitive" because they received points for showing up, bringing Bibles, bringing visitors, memorizing a weekly verse I assign, mission projects, and a slew of other random things. Whichever group has the most points at the end of the summer will have their way paid on our summer trip to six flags.

I introduced this two Wednesdays ago, and last night was our first "real" meeting with the small groups. You have to understand that since I have arrived at this church a month ago, I have seen one visitor and one person bring a Bible. Last night we had three visitors, six people brought Bibles, and five people memorized our Scripture for the week. I was quite pleased with the result.

I know that the reason they did these things was because of their competitive spirit, but I really don't think that is the most important thing right now. I am trying to develop good habits in them, and if takes a silly church competition to get them memorizing scripture, inviting friends to church, and bringing their Bibles to church- I'm totally ok with that.

No comments: