Saturday, March 3, 2007

Getting back to basics

As I have mentioned before, I am moving to a different state in the next couple of weeks and stepping into full-time youth ministry. Coming into this last Wednesday, I only had two more Wednesday night programs to be with my current youth group. I struggled greatly as I started to prepare my lesson for the night- what did I want to leave them with? What do I want them to remember as the last thing I tell them? The Scriptures are full of instruction- what do I want them to keep in mind?

Late in the book of Matthew, the religious powers that be try to corner Jesus with a few questions. One of them was the question of what the greatest commandment was. Out of the 613 Old Testament laws that were recognized, Christ was able to sum everything up in two statements.

Love God with all your heart. Love your neighbors as yourself.

So, last Wednesday I spoke about loving God. This Wednesday I am speaking about loving our neighbors. There are a hundred topics that are important and worth touching on- but if I can get every youth group I ever come in contact with to simply love God and love people...then I will consider my ministry a success.

No comments: