Monday, July 7, 2008

Patriotic Service

This past Sunday, my church did what I suspect 95% of churches also did that morning- have a patriotic 4th of July type service. We began by standing, and pledging allegiance to the US flag and then the Christian flag, and lastly the Bible. After singing the national anthem, we sang several other patriotic songs like "My Country Tis of Thee," etc.

I am very uncomfortable with this. Historically, God has called His people to reject the ways of the Empire and to take part in His counter-cultural movement. Not necessarily to be anti-empire or anti-American, but definitely to place our allegiance in a movement contrary to their values.

Yet, here we are literally singing praise songs to America in the House of God.

2 comments:

Robin said...

As an American married to a Canadian, I completely understand your discomfort. I felt a little bad that all the immigrants in our congregation were put in an awkward position. Why should praising America take the place of praising God?

My husband pointed out to me years ago that Canadians do not put their flag in the sanctuary. It's an American thing. Kinda embarrassing.

Shane said...

Interesting perspective on your churches Fourth of July service. My church did pretty much the same thing. The only real great thing about such a service is that we can at least be thankful to our God that he did place us in the United States, a place where we can openly worship Him without too much persecution.